Author Topic: Support of Unicode ?  (Read 291 times)

acbaile

• View Profile
Re: Support of Unicode ?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2018, 06:10:35 PM »
In all my years of programming, I've only had to do I18n twice. Both were C++ projects. In C never. In C a basic string is just a char* with 8-bit characters. That
works for 99.9% of the cases. What would be nice if we could add special Strings as an optional feature. If not used, no overhead etc.

If you want to strict using of C2 by area of embedded systems only - yes. But 90% of computers uses Windows. UTF-16 is native Unicode encoding in Windows (file names, in particular). UTF-8 is widely used in web.

OK, i heared you - target of C2 is embedded systems only. C5 will have these possibilities :) . If you are not against, let's continue communication. I am interested in development of C2 too - you generate a lot of lucky ideas. Maybe, my opinion - somewhen - will be useful for you too.

P.S. I write Windows-application in C, and i use i18n because it will be used worldwide... Like many other Windows-programmers. 99.9% is your practice only.

bas

• View Profile
Re: Support of Unicode ?
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2018, 12:15:51 PM »
I'm not agaist Unicode in C2, but i just want in there as an optional part that you can use or not. So a basic string will Not be Unicode.