General Category > Ideas

deleted

(1/2) > >>

acbaile:
deleted

bas:
C2 started out with the short versions (u8, etc), then returned to versions. After a while, this didn't feel right, so it was changed back to the short
versions. In the end, it takes a bit of getting used to, but it is easier on the eyes. This is the same as Rust btw.

Encapsulation at compile time level does not exist anymore at all, since the C2 compiler has a different unit of compilation. Having no
headers avoids a lot of issues and increasing the unit of compilation also allows some pretty nice features.

lerno:
I prefer the shorter 'u8' 'i8' 'f32' etc. However, I would actually like to see a plain "int" which is "native data size" for the platform just to keep things simple, readable and efficient.

lerno:
I’ve written quite a bit of code with the i32/i64/f32 format - as well as using uint/int etc. Two issues:

* i32/i64 has poor readability in a loop syntax wise
* You sometimes want ”fastest int” - c2 has no concept of that right now. It’s important to be able to use different code in different architectures.
* For a loop i32/i64 is overspecification. You only want the most efficient thing to keep in a register and inc/dec
I *like* i32 etc, but we need to make fast loops easy. And we need to be able to determine register size in an easy way.

Introducing int = ”fastest that is at least 32 bit” would hit a sweet spot.

lerno:
Hmm maybe. It sort of depends on how the macro system looks later on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version